This is the WIP photos of the Tek Armory TFP1 [link]
This is my first project with AMACO Rub n Buff for a while. I had decided to try using regular paint on the past couple of projects, but for this one I wanted to get that more rough and worn look, so back to Rub n Buff.
This toy has a few moving parts and some electronics so dis-assembly was definitely required before priming and painting. It came apart with several screws. All the screws were the same size except for two internal screws holding the speaker in place. Care had to be taken with one tension spring, but otherwise it was easy to take apart.
I masked off most of the delicate moving parts and joints and covered the electronics with a Ziploc bag
All priming was done using a matte black thick coat spray primer. The two Rub n Buff colors I used were Antique Gold and Silver Flake.
As with my previous projects, I wanted to make it with two different metallic finishes, I like the look of the civil war era guns that utilized steel barrels and brass receivers.
The first part I worked on was the retracting barrel sleeve halves. The Silver Flake I got this time was thinner than the last batch I had, so it took some getting used to but it ended up working out pretty well.
From there I worked over the receiver halves with the Antique Gold, then the barrel portion with silver. I used Vallejo black acrylic paint to touch up places where the rub n buff got away from me.
Then I moved onto the pistol grip/handle. I debated with myself for a while what to do color wise. I almost did the whole thing with Rub n Buff, but in the end I decided to keep the main part of the grip black, and only use the silver to highlight the grip texture. After that was done I used a brush and the black acrylic paint to add a thicker coat to the rest of the grip.
Next I painted the two bright orange buttons for the reciever and the barrel tip black.
Finally I masked off PART of the clear plastic knife blade, spray painted it black, then used silver rub n buff to bring out the blade texture. I wanted to leave the inner portion of the blade clear so it would glow as designed when you pulled the trigger in knife mode.
I added a coat of AMACO all purpose sealer to all the painted/rub n buff peices and let it dry, then re-assembled everything, and added one more coat of sealer to the high contact areas.